Sunday, December 23, 2012

Snow Day!


Thursday, December 20th was the "Blizzard of 2012".  Madison was lucky enough to get over 15 inches of snow from Wednesday evening to early Friday morning (lucky is being used sarcastically in this sentence).  I am not a huge fan of the snow.


As I was sitting on the couch looking at the white-out going on outside, I felt a bit antsy.  As I mentioned, I don't particularly like the snow.  I can't go anywhere; usually if I try to drive somewhere, I hit everything in sight.  You know how people always complain about those drivers who can't seem to get it together in the snow, even though they live in Wisconsin and should be used to it?  Well, I am that person.  And I can't even really walk anywhere in the snow, especially the deep snow, because I am too cheap to buy snow boots.  That's right, I have lived in Wisconsin my entire life and can't seem to drive in the snow or buy snow boots.  Did I mention I really despise snow?

So, that brings me back to last Thursday.  Most people who know me pretty well understand the fact that if I don't have a project or something to keep me busy, I go a little crazy.  I was sitting on the couch trying not to clean the bathroom one more time (I think I would have scrubbed a hole right through the floor), I racked my brain for something to do.  What did I come up with?  Cooking!  I decided to make a healthy home-cooked snow day dinner for my fiance (who, of course, went into the office today...had to get those billable hours, you know!)

Since Tyler and his whole family are big hunters, we have a freezer full of venison.  I decided to make a venison roast in the crock pot, with some great spices and flavors and add some great veggies to roast along with the meat.

1 boneless venison roast (frozen or thawed)
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup water
3-5 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 tbsp salt
2 tbsp pepper
2 tbsp paprika
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp cayenne powder
1 tbsp ground ginger
3 tsp chili garlic sauce (or any hot sauce)
1 medium red onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, chopped
1 bell pepper, cut in strips
2 carrots, chopped
3 tbsp butter

1.) Put roast in the crock pot.  Pour chicken broth, water, and Worcestershire sauce over the roast.  Sprinkle each spice on top of the roast and in the liquid around the roast.  Throw all the veggies into the roast pan.  Lastly, add butter on top of the roast.
2.)  Cook on low heat for 6-8 hours.

Along with a protein, I always make some type of side dish as well.  I went grocery shopping the day before and picked up some couscous.  Its one of my favorite grains and so I decided to boil some of that to go with the venison.
 
1 cup uncooked couscous
1 tsp olive oil
1 cup fresh spinach
1 small red onion, diced
1 garlic clove, minced
1 yellow pepper, diced
1 red pepper, diced
1 tomato, chopped and seeded

1.) Saute spinach, red onion, and garlic in olive oil until fragrant.  Add red and yellow peppers, saute for about 5 mins.
2.) Add couscous and tomato, and mix for about 2 mins.  Add 2 cups of water and bring to boil.  Let couscous soak up the water.  Once all water is soaked up, remove from heat and serve.

Usually, I also add a veggie with every dinner that I make.  However, because there are veggies in the crock pot with the venison, I decided to omit extra veggies for the night.  That being said, there always has to be dessert - Brandied Cherry Balls!

1/2 cup dried cherries, finely chopped
1/2 cup cherry brandy
1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
1 tablespoon butter, softened
3-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
6 ounces dark chocolate candy coating, chopped
1 tablespoon shortening
White candy coating, chopped
Pink paste food coloring

1.)  Place cherries in a small bowl. Cover with brandy; refrigerate at least 6 hours.
2.)  In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add confectioners' sugar; beat until crumbly. Drain cherries, reserving 2 teaspoons brandy. Add cherries and reserved brandy to cream cheese mixture.
3.)  Roll into 1-1/2-in. balls. Place balls on a waxed paper-lined baking sheet. Cover loosely and refrigerate for 1 hour.
4.)  In a microwave, melt dark chocolate candy coating and shortening; stir until smooth. Dip balls in chocolate; allow excess to drip off. Return to the baking sheet.
5.)  For drizzle, melt a small amount of white candy coating in a microwave; stir in food coloring until smooth. Drizzle over candies. Chill until set. Yield: about 3-1/2 dozen.

So, next time there is a snow storm that keeps you home bound, try out some new recipes for the ones you love!  Or, do the alternative, watch sappy movies with a bottle of wine (that was my backup plan for the day!)

Merry Christmas!!

No comments:

Post a Comment